GLSPS, LSMMA, WUAA, SPM
MEMBERS AND FRIENDS
All Hands on Deck!!
GLSPS, (Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society),
WUAA, (Wisconsin Underwater Archeology Association),
LSMMA, (Lake Superior Maritime Museum Association),
(SPM), Superior Public Museums
We will be Sponsoring the "Thirteenth" Annual S.S. Meteor Preservation Project, Saturday and Sunday April 29 and 30, 2017.
This is a very worthy cause and if we don't continue to preserve this one-of-a-kind Whale-back ship, it could be lost forever!
Please join us in preserving one of the only "Whale-back Ships" remaining in the world!
We are looking for a few good men and women to help stabilize and preserve the "S.S. METEOR".
Please Click on Above Pictures to Enlarge
S.S. Meteor Project 2016
Requirements / Recommendations:
1. You must be 16 years of age or older. (Unless other arrangements are made)
2. Have your own Medical Insurance.
3. This is a project that requires the ability to do both light and heavy physical work.
4. Please bring any of your own safety equipment such as respirators, masks, knee guards, gloves, coveralls, shoes, boots, hats and warm cloths. Optional: Hard hat.
5. A liability release form from SPM will need to signed and handed into the staff before anyone can start working on their assigned tasks.
6. Note: Tools such as paint scrapers, brushes, wiping rags, cleaners, and some respirator masks (Limited Quantity) will be provided. (Bring your own if you prefer).
To speed up the process, please click on the link button to print, read, agree, sign and bring with you to hand into the SPM Staff.
S.S. Meteor Liability Release and Waiver Form
This project is the 13th Annual. The last twelve years we put this Project together, we had a great turn out. We broke a record of 100 volunteers in 2014. We have an average of 50 plus people typically volunteering for this event! The folks from the Superior's Public Museum's Board of Directors and the City of Superior WI were very appreciative with the efforts of all the organizations that helped make this project successful! Let’s try making this event another successful year!
S. S. Meteor Project 2017 Work Weekend Tasks List
(The Task List Can Change at any time and up to the Day of the Project)
April 29 -30, 2017
(More than 75 Tasks to Complete)
- Clean staff office.
- Clean exhibit case glass inside and out.
Cabin Deck (In this order):
- Touch up paint in Crew’s quarters, galley and mess halls.
- Please Note: Some areas may only need to be cleaned and waxed to clean very small areas of rust. Mainly around the bolt and screw holes. (Please use Terry Cloth)!!
- Wash portholes
- Wipe down walls and furniture as needed
- Vacuum all rooms
- Clean up paint drippings
- Make beds and put out props
- Polish all brass as needed
- Wash windows- clean equipment-vacuum
- Polish Brass as needed
- Apply another coat of white paint to areas that still need it in lower engine room.
- Spray protection Lube on all tools (wrenches) in Engine room – Use Chain Lube and or Fogging oil.
- Engine room - Scrape and touch up paint, Polish Brass as needed
- Pressure wash entire outside of ship with pressure washer (Especially where bird droppings occurred on the Aft Starboard side of the ship). Warm water or car wash soap-DO NOT USE DAWN!
- Replace/install bird spikes where needed. Check Pigeons nest /roost areas on the aft deck under starboard turret along the conduit and wiring leading to pilot house (Spray tops of areas down with WD40, Pigeons don’t like the smell)! Remember you will be able to see where you have sprayed the WD40.
- Touch up any spots on the hull (with black paint). (If additional paint is applied, the surface has to be prepared again by sanding the area.)
- Tighten Forward mast cables (3)
- Check oil level and condition of air compressor. Change if necessary. Check Air filter. Check and change if Necessary.
- Repair rolled up cable to whistle in Chart Room.
This Year’s Tasks
Scraping and Painting:
- Clean and paint rust lines on outside of ship from water draining down - Port side turret and stairways. (Please use Terry Cloth)!
- Paint the poles that hold lifeboat netting. (They only have primer on them)! Add more netting after paint dry’s.
- Touch up “Red” paint in aft deck vents – please check sealing condition before painting – if needed, add caulking before painting
- Paint white lettering of Meteor name and hull numbers on starboard side. - Tim Pranke
- Paint water tanks on aft deck – for correct color, see Tim Pranke
- Paint (or treat) all four life boat cradles – (installed within the last two years)
- Paint floor of Captains balcony
- Apply second coat of paint in Haz-Mat Room and small rest room – Dean Soderbeck – Leader
- Paint forward deck-with anti-slip sand in paint. (Tile red) (If weather permits).
- Paint ceiling in display area on starboard side and other areas in the display area. (Need Scaffolding to complete this task).
- Paint Panel wall by divers room – battleship gray
- Clean, primer and paint workshop - after cleaned out and organized
- Paint (white) the ballast hopper small section by office area
- Paint Elmers room (with radar equipment and array) – port side was painted with white primer two or more years ago – it now needs a coat of white paint
- Move radar equipment under radar array. (after painting is complete)
- Paint ceiling in upper engine room – after safe scaffolding is designed and created (See Joe and Tony Musial)
- Clean, primer and paint Work Shop area, after area has been cleaned out
*Please Note: The tasks below will need to be done later on Sunday as we exit the ship
- Paint Red rails on stairs in boiler room going up to engine room (Need to be painted red (or Yellow for caution and for safety reasons).
- Paint rails in Boiler room (Silver color) (Most are completed, there is more).
- Paint floor in Mess Hall and certain parts of the walk way that are peeling? Paint floor of lower engine room. (This will only take place after all other painting and cleaning projects are completed? (Paint color will be tile red)
- Paint Ramp Posts with black paint.
Mechanical Repairs- High Priority:
- A plan and estimate was created for updating On-Off Switch and old fuse box in the main and lower engine room on the following Equipment:
Switch to turn on electric motor, electric starter box, hour meter if applicable and replacement of older fuse box with newer breaker box for electric motor that runs the main engine. Replacement of wiring as needed or to bring it up to code. Replace electric motor. (Electric Motor specs – 10 HP, 230 V, 45 AMP 1750 RPM). (Motor cannot be installed until Jacking gears are installed)! (Thank you Mike Stone)!
- Create Manual to indicate lubrication points of main engine along with photos. - Tim Pranke – Leader.
- Create or find existing pumping access in lower engine room for bilge water.
- Re-seal caps on both bow and stern bollards. – use spray foam for filling in large gaps before using black silicone sealer
- Need someone to reorganize the main fuse panel – circuit breakers need to be remarked after figuring out what each circuit feeds
Mechanical Repairs-lower priority:
- Clean brass fittings in lower engine room including brass fittings that were accidently painted.
- Repair / replace steam site glass tubes in engine room?? After they are found or ordered online. (Jeff Lee)
- Clean Machinery in main engine room – Use stiff plastic brush and vacuum debris. Work with Sara/Tim to make sure nothing has been damaged. (ASK FIRST)!!
- Clean organize and place pipe fittings back in shelving in boiler room under stairway
General Repairs, Fabrication, welding and other odd Jobs- high priority:
- Prepare and weld roof of Forward Turret where it is rusted through and railing around turret – Craig David Complete in later 2016 and project 2017
- Remove plugged and rusted drainage piping and replace with new piping – Needs to look authentic
- Weld rust holes in aft deck (newly found by Tim Pranke)
- Weld in plate under port side – under room where concrete needs to be laid – (metal is thin).
- Install black plastic corrugated drainage hoses on drainage pipes that don’t stick out far enough to keep water of the hull and stain it. Plan and estimate has been created by Mike Stone for later 2016 or project 2017?
- Replace wood lattes on benches (2) outside of Meteor ship main door. Move to boat deck. (See Dale Koziol)
- Clean out workshop area in bow starboard side – (keep a look out for a keyway for the jacking gear in engine room. Start cleaning, apply primer and possibly first coat of paint if there’s time. (see painting jobs above and Dale Koziol for plan)
- Replace sheet rock on ceiling in hallway in front of both restrooms – (replace light fixture)?
- Caulk all vents, especially where water is leaking in.
- Pump out water in bilge below engine. Investigate possibility of a lower point for the water to exit the ship. (Soak up any oil in water before pumping with absorbent pads).
- Find a discharge pipe to outside of ship – install several sump pumps with filters in engine and boiler room bilges.
- Reseal leaking port in Captains Office Port aft side on top of Pilot House. Write plan on how it will be done!
- Clean up paint chips and greasy floor in lower engine room. After electrical rewiring and jacking gears are finished!
- Grease up gear and shaft if needed - (To prevent rusting).
- Clean oil from walkway to boiler room
- Wood Project – build new dumb waiter door (hopefully using most of the old door)
- Wood platform for water meter.
General Repairs, Fabrication, welding and other odd Jobs- lower priority:
- After steel plate is welded below room, prepare metal in the crew’s quarters 2nd mate room – lay down new concrete. (Paint the floor tile red – (Later in the summer or next year). (After plate is welded under floor, we will need to paint primer on metal floor on both sides, including parts of the wall let dry, then add concrete foam barrier, then lay in cement)! Make a drain within the concrete using piece of pipe..
- Reproduce and Rehang all recreated signs that were removed in 2015. A trip to Office Max /Depot to scan and print may still need to be completed.
- Locate and record all portholes that need to be replaced. Measurements will also need to be done.
- Look into installing new bulletin board cork on boards in mess hall / crews quarters.
- Install more netting.
- Clean and paint GLSPS Display area – form committee to help put together a display area for the work the Society has done to Preserve maritime history – mostly the S.S. Meteor including taking the panels from the port side and painting them battleship gray (like the other display cases) and re-purpose them. Please remove all photos on panels and record them for storage until they are needed again.
- Repair top panel on divers display case – (See Dale Koziol)
- Find access to shaft alley to see why moisture is pushing up concrete in floor.
*If you are a leader of a task during the project work weekend you were assigned to bring supplies and equipment
Please click on this link to see what you were assigned to bring to the project.
S.S. Meteor Project 2017 Equipment Supplies List
The large list of tasks continues to grow as the project draws near.
More will be added, please check back.
Date: Saturday and Sunday April 29 and 30, 2017
(Ship will be open at 8:00 AM for early riser's and set up)
Time: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Saturday and 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Sunday or until …….
(Saturday: 9:15 AM Project Briefing)!! Please be present for the briefing!!
Where: S.S. Meteor Whale-Back Museum in Superior Wisconsin on Barkers Island.
Lunch: Will be provided by Grandma's Sports Garden. (Breakfast you will be on your own).
This year, we will be meeting at Barker's Island Inn Restaurant (Barkers Island near Meteor) both mornings for Breakfast at 7:00 AM.
Lodging: Free lodging is available but limited. We can provide space for some people in various campers, boats and houses around the area free of charge, based on a first come first served bases. Please let us know if you need free lodging ASAP! Barkers Island Inn / Hotel are offering a $50.00 per night room special only for the S.S. Meteor project participants. Please reserve your room ASAP for they only blocked out a certain amount of rooms. Please mention "The Whale-back Clean up" to receive your special room discount. Their phone number is, 715-392-7152
Please Note: If you are staying in any of the campers or boats, please bring your sleeping bag, pillow and other sleeping accommodations. If you are staying at a marina, the showers are most likely open for use.
If you prefer to stay in another Hotel, there are a few smaller and inexpensive Hotels in the local area. Please Google “Hotels Superior Wisconsin” Mention you are there for the Whale-back Project. Some hotels will give you a discount.
This year’s Saturday night program, we will once again have the “free” Buffet Dinner. Like last year, the Dinner will be at the Fair-Lawn Mansion in Superior WI (Not far from the Meteor). We will be offering free tours of the Mansion.
You can also ask the SPM staff of the Museum to bring you on a tour of the Whale back Ship you normally don't see on a regular summer tour!
If you are interested in volunteering, please register for the project by clicking on "Register Now" button in the upper right hand corner of this page. Follow the step by step directions. Or, by contacting the Chairman of the event, Phil Kerber or, the Director of SPM Sara Blanck. Contact information for both Phil and Sara are below.
Please don't delay in registering ASAP, this will help us determine the head count for the food and provide email communications for any additional information about the project.
Please confirm your attendance ASAP!
Thank you very much for your time.
Hope to see you there.
President - Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society
S.S. Meteor Project Chairman
Director - Superior Public Museums