2018 Thomas Wilson Invasive Species
September 29 - 30 and October 6 - 7, 2018
Tools Used to Count Mussels
Photo by Jack Decker
To learn more about the project and how to participate, please click on the links below.
Please join us for this EXCITING Project!!
If you haven't dived the Whale-back Thomas Wilson, here is your chance!
Madeira Sonar and Survey Project 2018
September 1 - 3, 2018
Photo By Tamara Thomsen
Photo By Tamara Thomsen
The Madeira, arguably the most dived shipwreck the North Shore, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 23, 1992.
Due not only to the changing nature of a shipwreck site, but also advancements in equipment and data collection, the National Park Service
recommends these sites be revisited to provide an update to the Listing.
This spring the GLSPS applied for, and the Minnesota Historical Society awarded the GLSPS, a Grant funded by the Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund
to bring cutting edge sonar technology to completely map the Madeira wreck site.
The GLSPS is excited to bring to you this project to map out the seldom visited and unknown areas of the wreck site to increase diver enjoyment and better tell the story of this massive ship.
This project has three phases associated with it. Phase one we are starting the Sonar and Survey portion of the project and it is starting on Labor Day Weekend 2018.
The project will continue through 2019 for phase two and three.
If interested in this project, please click on this link to follow the project as it progresses.
Madeira Sonar & Survey Project 2018
Return Cruise on the R/V Preservation
to Spirit lake Marina in Duluth
September 15 - 16, 2018
Join us for this fun and relaxing GLSPS event!
Please Note: This event fills up fast!!
To learn more, click on link below.
We will be making Fun Dives on each shipwreck during the cruise back to Duluth. We will also be removing shipwreck mooring buoys.
To learn more about the event and the itinerary, please click on link below
or "Register Now" button
The Morning Before Departure from Silver Bay
Photo By Tamera Tompsen
R/V Preservation at the Madeira
Preparing to Remove Mooring Buoys After Dive
Split Rock Light House Scenery from the Lake Side
Photo By Steve Daniel
Please join us if you have the time. We do a little diving, do a little work and cruise to absorb
much of the great scenery the North Shore of Lake Superior has to offer
"Bring your Cameras"
Hope you can join us!
GLSPS Board of Directors
Fun Dives and Projects On-Board
The RV Preservation Research Vessel
GLSPS Fun Dives and Projects On the
"RV Preservation" Research Vessel
The Next Fun Dive is, August 25, 26, 2018
2017 Fun Dives with Air Down There Scuba (A Happy Crew)!
Air Down There Scuba Participants Discussing Where the Want to Do Their Next Dive
Fun Dives On-Board the RV Preservation Research Vessel - Lots of Room for Equipment
Please join us for an Adventure diving from the GLSPS Research and Work Vessel the "RV Preservation"
If you have never been on one, you are missing out on a great time!
As a GLSPS Member, you have the benefit of joining the Staff of the GLSPS on the Society's Research Vessel.
Any Dive Shop, Scuba Club or Scuba Facilities can Set Up a Fun Dive Event on the GLSPS Research Vessel. The only requirement is to become a Member of the GLSPS.
Please click on "Become a Member" on the Menu bar on the left side of this website
If interested in joining us on one of our multipal dive and project events from the RV Preservation, please check out our
2018 Projects Schedule
Please click here to learn more about the June 30, - July 1, 2018 Fun Dive Event.
Please click here to learn more about the August 25, 26, 2018 Fun Dive Event.
If you are a GLSPS Member, please register ASAP or, if you are not a GLSPS Member, please become one and register for the event.
ALL new and current members are welcome!
We hope to see YOU on one of these events!
2018 Spring Newsletter
The 2018 Spring Newsletter is Now Available!
Click Here to view your copy of the Spring Newsletter.
Please Note: You will need to log onto the GLSPS website as a Member to obtain your copy.
Support the GLSPS With Amazon Smile
Select the Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society as your supported organization at smile.amazon.com
A portion of every eligible Amazon Smile purchase will automatically be donated to the GLSPS!
Amazon also has thousands of discounted items, especially during holidays. New deals are being added daily, so take advantage of these specials while they last!
Become a Member
GLSPS membership is open to anyone interested in doing something to help preserve these amazing historic and recreational sites.
It's easy to become a member - annual dues are only $25. Your membership will entitle you to receive two newsletters per year, a GLSPS membership sticker, and an opportunity to participate in GLSPS sponsored projects. We are a non-profit 501.c3 organization and all donations are tax deductible.
Become a Member - Online Become a Member - Mail Form
GLSPS Member Benefits
- Two newsletters per year
- Access to the members view of the GLSPS website
- Opportunity to participate in the many exciting and rewarding projects aboard our research vessel the R/V Preservation
- Annual BBQ and Cruise on the R/V Preservation during the launch weekend
- A variety of training classes and programs the GLSPS offers for members
- Discounts on equipment rentals and free air for members participating in projects
- Discounts on dive equipment purchased from your local dive shops that participate in the annual Upper Midwest Scuba and Adventure Travel Show
- Annual General Membership Meeting held in the fourth quarter of the year, typically in November
- A chance to help the Society as an active member and, to learn new things to help you be more of a dynamic person at your careers and your everyday life
The most you will get out of being a member is the amazing satisfaction of knowing your annual dues and donations are going to a worthy cause to help protect and preserve maritime history for years to come.
You will receive many email communications and announcements
from the GLSPS website, www.glsps.org. SOme of the emails you will be receiving are, Newsletters, Meeting notices, Upcoming Programs and Projects, and any other GLSPS activities or society news.
The Board of Directors Meeting is the first Tuesday of each month and are open to any member. The meetings provide an opportunity to meet other Society members, to get involved, and to provide input into the direction of the Society.
So please join us in the fun helping preserve maritime history by clicking on the membership level you prefer.
Tax Deductible Membership Levels:
- Crew - $25
- Crew Family -$35.00 Up to Four Additional Family Membes
- Watchman - $50
- Watchman Family - $60.00 Up to Four additional Family Members
- Boatswain - $100
- Boatswain Family - $110.00 Up to Four Additional Family Members
- Helmsman - $200
- Helmsman Family - $210.00 Up to Four Additional Family Members
- Mate - $500
- Mate Family - $510.00 Up to Four Additional Family Members
- Plank Owner - $1000 & Up
- Plank Owner Family - $1010.00 Up to Four Additional Family Members
* Memberships Watchman and above are listed in our newsletters.
Thank you for considering becoming a GLSPS Member and we look forward to seeing you on our projects!
- GLSPS.org is once again our direct website address!
- All content from our legacy site has been transferred to ClubExpress.
- Note that ClubExpress sends you to glsps.clubexpress.com when you log into the website; this is expected behavior.
New Menu and Content
- Projects Archive
- Includes project info as far back as 1994, two years before the GLSPS was officially started!
- Highlights our ongoing efforts and provides summary for multi-year projects.
- The 2017 Organizational Structure has been added to the Program Documents. This outline lists the Society's Objectives, Priorities, Committees, Programs and Projects for this year. Here is the link to the Organizational Structure Outline
- Wrecks / Dive Sites
- Historical info, preservation efforts, current location, mooring buoy status (as available), and more!
We'd like to hear from you!
- The GLSPS is trying to save time and money for our Newsletters, Membership renewal notices and other correspondence by saving on paper, printing and postage. Please provide you email addresses by sending them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send any website comments, ideas, suggestions for improvements, corrections, etc to Nick Lintgen or Phil Kerber.