2017 Thomas Wilson Invasive Species Monitoring Project
September 16 - 17
September 30 - October 1
Tools Used to Count Mussels
Photo taken by Jack Decker
To learn more about the project and how to participate, please click on the links below.
Please join us for this EXCITING Project!!
If you haven't dived the Whale-back Thomas Wilson, here is your chance!
Return Cruise on the R/V Preservation to Spirit lake Marina in Duluth
September 09 - 10, 2017
Join us for this fun and relaxing GLSPS event!
To learn more, click on link below.
We will be making Fun Dives on each shipwreck during the cruise back to Duluth. We will also be removing shipwreck mooring buoys.
To learn more about the event and the itinerary, please click on link below
or "Register Now" button
The Morning Before Departure from Silver Bay
Photo By Tamera Tompsen
R/V Preservation at the Madeira
Preparing to Remove Mooring Buoys After Dive
Split Rock Light House Scenery from the Lake Side
Photo By Steve Daniel
Diver Phil K Relaxing Before Removing S.P. Ely Mooring Buoy for Season
Please join us if you have the time. We do a little diving, do a little work and cruise to absorb
much of the great scenery the North Shore of Lake Superior has to offer
"Bring your Cameras"
Hope you can join us.
GLSPS Board of Directors
Support the GLSPS With Amazon Smile
Select the Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society as your supported organization at smile.amazon.com
A portion of every eligible Amazon Smile purchase will automatically be donated to the GLSPS!
Amazon also has thousands of discounted items, especially during holidays. New deals are being added daily, so take advantage of these specials while they last!
2017 R/V Preservation Season Preparation Work Weekends
Thank you to all that helped prepare the RV Preservation for the 2017 season of Projects!!
Save the Date - 17th Annual UMSAT Show
Saturday, March 25, 2017
The UMSAT Show is now past and was another successful show. We had a lot of positive feed back about the show this year. Those of you that missed it, missed an AWESOME show!
Thank you to all that attended, including the public, members, exhibitors, sponsors, local dive shops, Local County Sheriff's Departments, and mostly the speakers that were a large part of making the
We would also like to extend our deepest thank you to all the volunteers that helped!
A special thanks to our friends from the east - Ghost Ships Festival in Milwaukee.
Visit the UMSAT Show website
for more info and view pictures from the 2017 UMSAT Show
here is the link to the Photo Album
Keep your show program book as it has very valuable information in it. You can use it throughout the year to you find - dive shops for training, dive equipment, charter services, repair services. Please patronize the local businesses that advertise in the program book and listed as sponsors on the site. They may even have a discount if you tell them you found their ad in the UMSAT Show program book!
2017 Show Sponsors!
Please give them the recognition by patronizing their businesses and visiting or calling them at their stores.
2016 Fall Newsletter is Now Available
The Fall 2016 newsletter is now available to GLSPS members!
The Spring 2017 Newsletter will be coming soon, hopefully in July.
Click on the link below to view or print your color copy.
2016 Fall Newsletter
We hope you enjoy the newsletter and thank you again for your support!
Please Contact Us
if you have any questions or comments on the newsletter, projects or society.
- GLSPS.org is once again our direct website address!
- All content from our legacy site has been transferred to ClubExpress.
- Note that ClubExpress sends you to glsps.clubexpress.com when you log into the website; this is expected behavior.
New Menu and Content
- Projects Archive
- Includes project info as far back as 1994, two years before the GLSPS was officially started!
- Highlights our ongoing efforts and provides summary for multi-year projects.
- The 2017 Organizational Structure has been added to the Program Documents. This outline lists the Society's Objectives, Priorities, Committees, Programs and Projects for this year. Here is the link to the 2017 Organizational Structure Outline
- Wrecks / Dive Sites
- Historical info, preservation efforts, current location, mooring buoy status (as available), and more!
We'd like to hear from you!
- The GLSPS is trying to save time and money for our Newsletters, Membership renewal notices and other correspondence by saving on paper, printing and postage. Please provide you email addresses by sending them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send any website comments, ideas, suggestions for improvements, corrections, etc to Nick Lintgen.
Become a Member
GLSPS membership is open to anyone interested in doing something to help preserve these amazing historic and recreational sites.
It's easy to become a member - annual dues are only $25. Your membership will entitle you to receive two newsletters per year, a GLSPS membership sticker, and an opportunity to participate in GLSPS sponsored projects. We are a non-profit 501.c3 organization and all donations are tax deductible.
Become a Member - Online Become a Member - Mail Form
GLSPS Member Benefits
- Two newsletters per year
- Access to the members view of the GLSPS website
- Opportunity to participate in the many exciting and rewarding projects aboard our research vessel the R/V Preservation
- Annual BBQ and Cruise on the R/V Preservation during the launch weekend
- A variety of training classes and programs the GLSPS offers for members
- Discounts on equipment rentals and free air for members participating in projects
- Discounts on dive equipment purchased from your local dive shops that participate in the annual Upper Midwest Scuba and Adventure Travel Show
- Annual General Membership Meeting held in the fourth quarter of the year, typically in November
- A chance to help the Society as an active member and, to learn new things to help you be more of a dynamic person at your careers and your everyday life
The most you will get out of being a member is the amazing satisfaction of knowing your annual dues and donations are going to a worthy cause to help protect and preserve maritime history for years to come.
You will receive many email communications and announcements
from the GLSPS website, www.glsps.org. SOme of the emails you will be receiving are, Newsletters, Meeting notices, Upcoming Programs and Projects, and any other GLSPS activities or society news.
The Board of Directors Meeting is the first Tuesday of each month and are open to any member. The meetings provide an opportunity to meet other Society members, to get involved, and to provide input into the direction of the Society.
So please join us in the fun helping preserve maritime history by clicking on the membership level you prefer.
Tax Deductible Membership Levels:
- Crew - $25
- Family - $35 - Up to four Family Members.
- Watchman - $50
- Boatswain - $100
- Helmsman - $200
- Mate - $500
- Plank Owner - $1000 & Up
* Memberships Watchman and above are listed in our newsletters.
Thank you for considering becoming a GLSPS Member and we look forward to seeing you on our projects!