Thomas Wilson Invasive Species Monitoring and Cleanup Project
September 16 - 17, 2017
(Cancelled Because of Weather and Poor Visibility)
Please join us for the 8th annual event. We will be counting Zebra and Quagga Mussels on the whaleback steamer Thomas Wilson to track the population trends. This year we may be collecting mussels for the U of M and DNR for their research labs to study.
In interested, please register for the project by clicking on the "REGISTER NOW" button above right.
If you have registered already and have a conflict and have to cancel, please inform the project leader by email or phone so that we can free up the spot for any reserved persons waiting for an opening. The Project Leader's contact information is above.
Saturday Project Itinerary:
1. 6:30 AM - Wake up call for those staying on boat.
Please Note: All participants need to meet at the dock at Spirit Lake Marina and be loaded by 7:00 AM Saturday
2. Departure time no later than 7:30 AM. All Liability Releases, Waiver and Medical forms should have been printed (obtained) at home, read thoroughly, signed and turned into the Project Leader or Captain at this time. If forms had to be handed to participants at the boat, protocol says it's too late and you cannot participate.
3. Perform boat safety briefing
4. Cruise down river while having breakfast and out in the lake 1 mile SSE from the Duluth Harbor Entrance. Hook the Wilson shipwreck.
5. 8:45 - Dive Safety briefing (15 min). Establish dive teams and order. Then brief the teams on their assignments. Set up and drop surface supplied O2 system on accent line (anchor line).
6. 9:00 to 10:00 AM - Commence diving operations. Send first dive team.
7. 10:00 to 11:00 AM - Send second dive team.
8. 11:00 AM Start refilling scuba air tanks for first dive team while recording results of the dive. ( Mussel count).
9. 11:30 AM - Finish filling scuba tanks with air for first team and start second team air filling.
10. 12:00 Noon - Lunch will also be served for first and second dive teams.
11. 12:30 - Start recording results of the second dive team.
12. Long 1 hour surface interval and discuss results of the two dives after recording them. Start briefing on the next tasks that need to be accomplished.
13. 1:30 to 2:30 PM - Send first team on second dive after a short briefing on their new assigned task.
14. 2:30 to 3:30 PM - Send second dive team on second dive of the day after a short briefing on their new assigned task.
15. Discuss a possible 3rd dive, Wilson/Mayflower.
16. 5:00 PM returning to dock at the Spirit Lake Marina for dinner. (Local dining of the groups choice).
17. 10:00 PM All participants need to return to the boat for lights out. (Required sleep for divers and crew).
Sunday Project Itinerary:
1. 6:30 AM - Wake up call.
2. 7:00 AM - Departure from dock / Spirit Lake Marina and start breakfast.
3. 8:00 - 8:30 AM - Dive safety briefing for the day.
4. 9:00 AM - Diving starts after short briefing on what tasks need to be completed for each team.
5. 10:00 AM - First dive team returns then Send second dive team.
6. 10:30 AM - Record first dive teams results.
7. 11:00 AM - Second dive team returns and records results of their dive.
8. 12:00 Noon - Lunch is served. Start filling tanks with air if second dive is required.
9. 1;00 PM - If second dive has been discussed and approved - Start second dive after short briefing on left over tasks that need to be completed.
10: 1:30 - If there is not a second dive to perform. wrap up diving operations and head back to the Marina to unpack and head for home to end the 2013 Wilson Project.
11. 2:30 - 3:30 PM - (If there is a second dive). Send second dive team.
12. 3:30 PM - Diving operations end wrap up and head back to Marina for unloading and debriefing on the project. (This takes place typically on the way back to the Marina).
13. 4:30 return to dock at Spirit Lake Marina.
Thank you all that participated in this project. We hope you had fun learning about zebra and quagga mussel monitoring. Hopefully you will be able to participate in a future GLSPS Project.
Wilson Project Leader