Gales of November Conference
November 3 - 4, 2017
Click Here for more details
Please Join theGLSPS
Gales of November Conference
at the Duluth DECC
9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
We will have our Booth in the Exhibitors Room
You Can Renew your Membership, Learn more about our upcoming show, Purchase Apparel and Other Items For Sale and any other information you might be seeking
(We always have a t-shirt sale)
A Special Raffle will be available to purchase Tickets for a Chance to Win "CASH"
Closing Reception at Grandma's in the Upstairs Lounge
5:30 - 7:30 PM
Please Join us for this Fun and Relaxing Event!
To learn more about the Conference activities and speakers, please click on link below.
Gales of November Conference 2017
Please join the GLSPS Staff and others for a fun event after the Conference Aboard the M/V Wenonah.
Please ask for details at the GLSPS booth. Theme this year - "The Life's Aquatic - "The Movie"
Gales of November 2016
To Learn More About the Event, Please Click on Link Below
Enter the Annual "Cruise of a Lifetime" Contest by Purchasing your Tickets at the Event or Online
Drawing for the big winner is at the end of the Conference on Saturday!!
Please Join the GLSPS and Other Exhibitors for the Last Get -together for the Year
The GLSPS will be Exhibiting at Event Again!
Please Stop by the GLSPS Booth to See What's New and Exciting the the Society, what we did the past year to preserve Maritime History
You Can Also Stop By to Renew Your Memberships.
If you not a member, you can sign up as a New Member at the Booth
Please Join us to see our own Ken Merryman Give a Great Presentation on the Newly Discovered Shipwrecks Him, and His Fellow Associate Shipwreck Hunters Discovered Just a few Months Ago!
Lake Superior Magazine
BSA Venture Crew 820
Superior Public Museums
Wisconsin Historical Society
North Shore Scenic Cruises
Please join the GLSPS LSMMA Speakers and Others After the Conference aboard the "Winona"
for a Night Harbor Cruise
(Please let Jay Hanson Know if you are joining us).
We hope to see you at the Gales of November Conference 2016
Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society
Board of Directors
Gales of November 2008: Shipwreck and Diving Program
The 11th Annual Gales of November shipwreck and diving program will be held in Duluth, Minnesota, on Saturday, November 7th, at the Radisson Hotel. Programs run throughout the day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. with an evening dinner program planned for 6:30 p.m. Lunch will be on your own.
Proceeds from this year's event go to the Lake Superior Marine Museum Association, which assists the Corps of Engineers in programming and exhibits at the Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center in Duluth, the most-visited marine museum on the Great Lakes.
Program presenters will be coming from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. And there will be displays on diving equipment, charter operations, publications and more, available throughout the day.
Tickets and more information for the 11th Annual Gales of November are available through this year's host: Lake Superior Marine Museum Association, P.O. Box 177, Duluth, MN 55801-0177, or by calling 218-727-2497. Tickets for the day of programming will be available by mail or at the door. However, dinner reservations must be paid for in advance and received by November 1. Day program is $15.00 and the dinner and evening program is $20.00. Payment can be in cash or check payable to Lake Superior Marine Museum Association. Sorry, credit cards cannot be accepted.
A small block of special rate rooms ($59.00 + tax) has been set aside for the 6th and 7th at the Radisson Hotel for conference attendees. Register by calling 218-727-8981 and mention this conference.
Planned programs include the following, subject to change:
Additional information is available by email, just note November Gales in subject area:Thomas.R.Holden@LRE01.usace.army.mil.
- Great Lakes Underwater: A Diver's Updateby C. Patrick Labadie, Director, Corps of Engineers' Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center, Duluth, Minnesota.
- A Celebration of Statehood: Wisconsin Sesquicentennial as seen Underwaterby Jeff Gray and John Jensen, Wisconsin State Underwater Archaeologists, Madison, Wisconsin.
- A Cold Dark Hart. The story of producing a video documentary on the wreck of the JUDGE HART in northern Lake Superior with dive partner and co-producer Darryl Ertel, presented by Matt Turchi, sport diver, videographer, and wreck researcher from Flint, Michigan.
- Steam Power: A Diver's Perspectiveby Ken Merryman, President, Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society, Fridley, Minnesota.
- Isle Royale's General Management Plan: Impacts on Diving and SCUBA Managementby Liz Valencia, Branch Chief, Cultural Resources Management, Isle Royale National Park, Houghton, Michigan.
- Subduction: Ice Diving Beneath the Keweenaw Pressure Ridges, where ice can reach depths of 80 feet, by Bill Reynolds, sport diver from Hancock, Michigan.
- Matt Turchi will present the dinner program entitledThe GUNILDA Project. The story of researching, diving, logistics, filming, and producing a video documentary and research report on one of Ontario's most famous shipwrecks with co-producer and dive partner Darryl Ertel.