S.S. Meteor Project
ATTENTION GLSPS, LSMMA, WUAA, SPM MEMBERS AND FRIENDS of the S.S. Meteor!
GLSPS (Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society),
WUAA (Wisconsin Underwater Archeology Association),
LSMMA (Lake Superior Maritime Museum Association),
SPM (Superior Public Museums)
We will be Sponsoring the Sixth Annual S.S. Meteor Preservation Project. Saturday and Sunday April 24 and 25, 2010.
This is a very worthy cause and if we don't attempt to preserve this one-of-a-kind Whaleback ship, it could be lost forever!
Please come join us in preserving one of the only "Whaleback Ships" remaining in the world!
We are looking for a few good men and women to help preserve the S.S. Meteor.
Requirements / Recommendations:
- You must be 18 years of age or older. (Unless other arrangements are made)
- Have your own Medical Insurance.
- This is a Project that requires the ability to do Physical work.
- Please bring any of your own safety equipment such as respirators masks, knee guards, gloves, coveralls, shoes, boots, hats and warm clothes.
Note: Tools such as Scrapers, brushes, wiping rags, cleaners, and some respirator masks will be provided.
The last six years we put this Project together, we had a great turn out. Last year we broke a record for volunteers. We had 62 plus people helping out on this event! The folks from the Superior's Public Museum's Board of Directors were very appreciative with the efforts of all the organizations that helped on this event to become one of the most Successful ever! Let’s try doing the same or better this year!
Here are some of the tasks we need to perform:
- Housekeeping / Cleaning.
- Continue Documenting Display Artifacts with Digital Cameras and official Documentation Forms. Scrape and paint Chart Room.
- Complete cleaning, scraping and painting engine room; includes removing paint chips, painting overhead; remove rust and prime top of main engines, finish painting steam pipes.
- Polish Brass in pilot house and engine room; spray with clear lacquer.
- Repair, prime window frames in pilot house.
- Complete painting interior turret stairway.
- Clean portholes.
- Remove rust from engine/value linkage, paint? (engine room)
- Remove flaking paint from ceiling in exhibit area (primer is still good), repaint if time permits.
- Replace screws in mess stools.
- Repair sections of exhibit floor with vinyl cement (tripping hazard!).
- Continue work on engine started. Need hydraulic puller for frozen gear?? Lost pin? (Phil?).
- Weld small hole, starboard (was filled with silicone in 2009 as a temporary fix)
- Replace rusted bracket and plate on exterior stair/walkway, similar to work done last year.
- Scupper drain portside is plugged – needs to be cut and replaced. Ned 10’ of iron pipe, 1” OD.
- Clean exhibit case glass, insiders.
- Clean crews’ quarters, make beds, etc.
- Replace valve on horn compressor – we have valve.
- Repair horn bracket (bolt? weld?)
- Weld various other rusted areas of the ship
Saturday and Sunday April 24 and 25, 2010
9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Saturday and 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM Sunday
S.S. Meteor Whaleback Museum in Superior Wisconsin on Barkers Island.
Lunch: Will be provided. (Breakfast you will be on your own).
A Saturday Night Event will be held with a light Buffet Dinner. It will be exciting. Please don't miss it.
We can meet at the Perkins restaurant for both Mornings for Breakfast.
Lodging: Can be provided for up to 20 people in various campers, boats and houses around the area free of charge, based on a first come first served bases. Note: If you are staying in any of the campers or boats, please bring your sleeping bag, pillow and other sleeping accommodations.
If you prefer to stay in a Hotel, there are a few small Hotels in the local area. Please Google “Hotels - Superior Wisconsin”
Ask the staff of the Museum to bring you on a tour of the ship you normally don't see on a regular summer tour!
Please let us know at your earliest convenience if you would like to be part of this very worthy cause by contacting the Chairman of the event, Phil Kerber. Please contact him by using any of the below information. For you out-of-towners his toll free number is 1-866-300-2059.
We will need to make the necessary arrangements after I have a head count. So, please confirm your attendance ASAP!
Thank you very much for your time.
Hope to see you there.
S.S. Meteor Project Chairman
Office: 763-420-2059 Cell: 612-720-2825
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.